Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Let me know if any of the following makes sense...


So, when Matt and I were planning our move to London, we had to apply for visas for him to go to school and me to work in order to support us. We got our passports back to realize that Matt’s visa expired in 2009 while mine expired in a years time....2007. I was allowed to work 40 hours per week, so it was quite nice and easy to find a job. I worked in a ‘contract’ (aka. work for as long as they need you....temporary) for 5 months with a big firm in London and then found a permanent position with Procter Associates. Fortunately I found this position because about 3 months later the ‘big firm’ let go all of the ‘contract’ workers with about a weeks notice and I would of already been 1/2 way through my visa time.


So, about a two  months ago I contacted a company that deals with permits and visas and had to fill out a form with all of my information. Then I was told they couldn’t give me a payment schedule until I turned in a CV and job description...which was basically the same information on the form. I put it off and finally sent it a couple of weeks later. After a couple of weeks not hearing from them, I called and found out that the person that I was talking with was no longer with the company....AND my information had not been picked up by anyone else. THEN...I was informed it was too late to apply for a work permit as my boss would have to advertise for 28 days until I could apply...which was past the time my visa would have expired. Question #1: Why should someone have to advertise for a position that she already had someone working for the last 6 months? Question #2: Why advertise for 28 days for a position with specific information in a particular format to prove that my boss is biased and only likes foreigners? Question #3: Why the hell wasn’t I informed of the urgency of this from  someone who obviously deals with this on a daily basis? HELLO!!


I went ahead and sent a deposit and contract to the visa company to proceed with the understanding that they would send everything out within the week and let me know what I needed to send. After 5 days, I still had no response and contacted them again. Apparently they passed it down to two other people who reviewed and then processed and then would contact me. Mind you, this had to be sent out quite quickly so I contacted the ‘agent’ and she seemed completely unaware of the urgency of the matter....meaning she hadn’t even looked at my case that said my visa ended at the end of September!!! I complained and asked for a refund at which time it was promised over the phone. I check my email that evening only to get a written reply that stated that I signed the contract and they could keep my deposit in addition to forking over the full fee. I went ballistic and emailed them back saying it was unacceptable for reasons A...B...and C (mind you, they had yet to send me any information on what needed to be submitted and expected me to go to their office, take off of work, and have all paperwork prepared for them to send off....the DAY it was due!). I then get a response stating that a $180 fee would be charged instead for the work they had done....which was what?!?!


So, after discussing it with my credit card and getting a complete refund on their end with an investigation on the books, I felt a whole lot better....the difference between American service and UK service is a complete 180 difference! In the end, I paid a huge chunk of money to apply for an extension for my student visa having to send all sorts of paperwork to prove that Matt was still in school (which technically he isn’t, but actually he is!). Of course everyone I spoke with (ie. Borders & Immigration, Visa Crap Company, students, and the college!) don’t understand the discrepancy between our expiration dates to begin with! In the meantime I have to wait the 4-14 weeks (a huge difference in time...typical British) to figure out if I’m going to be allowed to stay and continue working. So the following could happen....


A) I’m allowed to stay until July 2008 which is when Matt officially graduates from AA

    = I’ll be able to continue to work 40 hrs/wk and in the meantime apply for my work permit that allows me to work for up to 2 years. Matt can only work 20 hrs/wk until he applies to get a work permit...or graduate scheme work permit.

B) I’m allowed to stay until January 2008 which is when Matt finds out whether or not he graduates from the AA and all his other contributions are complete.

   = I’ll be able to continue to work and apply for my work permit as soon as I get my paperwork back...which hopefully is 4-14 weeks prior to the expiration of my visa.

C) I’m denied to stay at all and thus must arrange to return back to the US until I apply and get approval for my work permit. 

   = I’ll be home for 4-14 weeks...and then I’d have to apply for Entry Clearance to return back to the UK which could take up to 2 weeks....unless done in person.


So that has been the stress for me over the last several weeks. I’ve contacted the Borders & Immigration office and they at least have received all of my ‘original’ legal document (and Matt’s as well). The Postal system is on strike so the tracking number I had was not very useful as it seems the system has been down for the last several days. Only in the UK does the postal system and the transportation system shut down...and nobody seems to care too much. 


With our documents off in some pile, this means that I cannot travel at all unless they are returned....with the verdict. I was told that I could get Matt’s passport back once processed, so at least if he goes back home earlier, then he’d be fine. Unfortunately 14 weeks is the week of Christmas, so if it takes that long to get it back, I’m SOL and spending it in the city....because I wouldn’t be able to go anywhere else considering I have absolutely no identification. So, with all of this drama relayed back to you...please say a little prayer that things work out...and in a timely matter....so I can a) get back home for Christmas and b) continue to work and support ourselves until Matt finds a job...which he is actually in the process of at least thinking about it (despite all the work he still has to do!).


Love you all and miss EVERYONE more than you probably know! I know things will work out in the end, but why must it be so difficult I ask?!?!


Cheers, KD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home