So, Matt's birthday is on June 27th and I have to admit we typically do very little to celebrate the 7 years I've known him. Of course we've always had his mother near and dear baking a delicious cake and have family together to celebrate over bbq and loads of treats. Well this year we've decided to bite the bullet and make a celebration of it.
Now the question was where he would like to go. After much debate, alot of research, I am happy to say that we are now counting down to a great little 4-day vacation to Cinque Terre on the coast of Italy. We're planning on flying to Pisa where we'll stay a night and venture around the city to view the sites. Then we're off by train to Vernazza where we will spend the next 2 nights in a little bed & breakfast. We look forward to walks and boat rides between the different fishing villages and enjoying the food and wine. Its suppose to be really secluded (only accessible by train) and gears more towards hikers and people looking for some much needed TLC. Saying that we'll be ready for some sunshine, swimming in the crystal clear waters, eating delicious fish caught in those same clear waters, and rubbing it all in when we return!!
Until then though, we are both pretty busy with our own respective jobs. Weekends will hopefully get warmer and the picnic bbq will eventually make another appearance for the season. We'll be keeping you updated!
:) KayDawn

I did that exact trip! Ironic but a picture from there is the screen saver on my phone right now because it's such a great memory.
My tidbit of advice - Pisa isn't much of a site besides the tower. I'm sure it would be fine for one night but wouldn't plan for more than that. I'd much rather have another night in CT than Pisa.
Rick Steve's write up on "how to do Cinque Terra" is excellent.
Don't plan on much "beach time". There is only one of the four towns that has a "swimming area" - and since I was desperate we did some laying out on the rocks at one of the towns. Relaxing - yes. Beach vacation - not really unless you stay at that one town (the last one - which has the resorts)
Definitely good food and fun hikes though.
Here is my blog post about it!
http://jessica-mygreatadventure.blogspot.com/2007/08/italian-pasta-sun-and-purses.html