
Okay, so this happened LAST week, but I thought it was a noteworthy event and something out of the ordinary for us really. I just haven't really had the time or the energy to post it. Matt dragged me to see Hauschka at the Southbank Queen Elizabeth Hall. I wasn't really familiar with his work but it was someone that Matt has followed throughout the last couple of years and was ecstatic that he was venturing to London. Anyway, we were in the second row of a small theatre and I was impressed with his style of music as well. It was one of those performances that give you a whole different perspective of the music which you don't get from an mp3. The genius puts all kinds of stuff inside the grand piano on the strings and hammers to alter the sound. This in addition to the actual playing is what makes him so unique. The last song he pretty much yanked everything he had in the strings throughout the 1 hour set and Matt & I were impressed of what all it involved: chains, foil, balls of plastic, tape, duct tape, ping pong balls, etc.
I've always told him that when we finally had the finances to buy a house I would like nothing more than a 'baby' grand piano in it (whether it was big enough or not!)...I think after this concert I'm that much closer to convincing him that its a necessity. Of course, he mentioned a stipulation that if I could play like that it would be mine!
PS. The photo isn't mine, it was definitely too dark and I'm too unexperienced to take such complicated shots (or don't have the right lense to do so...)
Labels: Entertainment, London
