Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.


Image thanks to Google...gotta have a dig for one of my own!

Well, apparently Transport for London has made international news through their infamous 'tube strike' that started yesterday evening. Fortunately though I only live 2 miles from work and take the bus I wasn't affected by the whole ordeal. The reason for the strike comes down mainly to pay and that the promised 1% increase with .5% for the following 2 years wasn't sufficient. Since they did not get the request 4% pay increase, most have gone on strike giving a load of Londoners and tourists alike huge headaches.

What amazes me is that in this economic climate that there are those few who are still asking for pay raises...and retaliating. I have a friend whose company has had pay and bonus freezes across the board. They also are not allowed to renew contracts so one individual in particular ended up going back to Europe. There have been rumors in the architecture industry that those who remain to keep their jobs are doing so taking on the job of two others. Any sign of weakness or complaint results in comments that there are 20 more people out there who would fight tooth and nail for their position.

So until Friday morning, the city will continue to have to adjust to walking/cycling or just getting up a little bit earlier until the dust settles. Beware though of the pushy, rude, and unforgiving many who fight their way through the trenches...elbows and all! Times like these I'm grateful that I live so close to work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home