Okay, so things have been hectic these days and I've just seen that I haven't posted in a LONG long time. I was on a roll before but I can note a couple of reasons that I've been behind.
1. CHUM CHUM WITH UK BORDERS & IMMIGRATION - We had to apply for new visas in February. Due to a whole load of circumstances and questions and documentation required it has become more of a hassle than it seemed to be worth at one time. We still aren't sure what the situation is going to be but we are sending happy thoughts and crossing all fingers and toes that it all irons out smoothly. This is a big political high point in discussion at the moment and it seems they have singled out architects as having to prove they have an income WAY beyond anything normal for any future applications. So, if things don't change within the next couple of years I have a feeling that we may have no choice but to move back to the US.
2. THE HIGHS & LOWS OF WORKING - Matt has been working ridiculous hours with no financial benefit or extra time off to supplement it all. I just finished up a project and had many more in the pipeworks that seemed to have quieted down a little bit. The industry is so far behind that we just had our end-of-project party for a project that we finished last December! Anyway, things are holding on and hopefully some of the projects on the brink of official approval will be coming our way. In the meantime Marcela, my co-worker, is off on maternity leave for the next year and we have a replacement starting in less than a week.
3. MOTHER NATURES HATES THE UK - So this winter has been ULTRA long and as we rang in Spring it didn't seem there was any hope of letting up. We've had probably 3 days of nice sunshine and warmth (which means going outside without a jacket!) and the rest of the days have been completely miserable. Fortunately though these days have tended to land on weekends so we've been able to enjoy them. We've had great afternoons in Oxford, a couple of parks in our area, and even a lunch outside. We're all crossing our fingers for a decent summer...but things are looking slim. Maybe I can get someone to visit and bring it with them??
4. POLITICS AND POLLUTION - So there really isn't a direct excuse on why this is a reason for my absence, but it does keep ringing in my ear lately that I just want to curl up and go to sleep in the evenings. The TV, which isn't very good anyway, is packed with news stories on the upcoming May 6th elections and the havoc caused by the Ash cloud that floats above us. The election is basically between 3 parties and every day I read or hear something new about the whole process. Oddly enough it doesn't seem the English even know how things are done. The ash cloud on the otherhand is just a non-stop conversation piece. Now that planes are coming in it seems they have to talk about how ridiculous it was that they weren't allowed to fly anyway! Just STOP talking about it!!
So, for now that's about the most interesting things that have gone on around here. I'll try to be better to come up with some things...but now that Spring is on the brink of making an appearance we will hopefully be getting out more....and try not to spend too much money doing it. I've got some organizing to do, but I'm hoping to start adding more recipes as well as a digital library of things. I really want to start my own unique blog but haven't gotten that inspired just yet to dive into it all. Keep in touch and always looking for an interesting read...so pass them through my direction. - KD
