So now I have recovered from a week away in Italy with one of my best friends of life so far. Italy was suppose to be a high school graduation trip turned into a 'crap we're turing 30' trip...turned into a reunion. I hadn't seen Rachel in 6 years since Matt & I left for our honeymoon...and Laura went to school in Mancester with Rachel 10 years ago! Please feel free to checkout the photos (some taken with my new wide angle lens!)
Leg 1: Rome
Day 1 - After a couple of days for Rachel to recover from her jet-lag we headed to Rome. We booked a great apartment right by the train station which was easy to get to and only blocks away from the Colosseum. We were settled and ready for the day to begin and started our wander around the city. We walked around the Colosseum, Forum, and ventured over to Pantheon and all the little spots in between. Stopping for a quick lunch and later dinner we were greeted with heavy rain! Drenched with an umbrella to share between us we walked back to our apartment for a night of wine and Gladiator (english dvd selection & tv were limited!)...but appropriate.
Day 2- Our first full day and decided to head to the Vatican. With a little bit of a late start we ventured over and took in the sights of the square, basilica, and AMAZING views of the city from the top. I thought my knees were going to fall off with all the stairs, but with a chance for a breather, a little shop on the roof, and the cold all helped! We broke for lunch and then headed to the Vatican Museum. This place is MASSIVE and we were shoo'd out of the Sistine Chapel when they were ready to shut down. It was actually quite nice because the cold and being off season crowds were minimal, which made for areas that we had to ourselves.
Day 3 - Full day set aside for the Forum and Colosseum. Talk about history overload! Loved it all but really wish I knew more about Rome when going through it all. We had the help of audio guides that we shared which was a godsend. I learned alot of stuff in Architecture School....but that was YEARS ago! We got kicked out of the Colosseum (and was disappointed we didn't go to the basement level, which I thought was open now!) at closing and it poured down raining. We decided to go back to the apartment and have dinner.
Leg 2: Venice
Day 4 - We hopped on a train to Venice (buy tickets early, you'll save lots of money!) and were on a practically empty car by ourselves. When we hit the edges of Bolgona we were in mainly tunnels....until a break where snow appeared! I swear Rachel was going to kill me! I promised Venice would be different...see Day 5. Once we got there we met Laura from her boat via the airport and went for dinner for a much needed introduction and catchup. After wandering around the city and getting adjusted for a whole bunch of alleyways we called it a night. Our B&B was lovely with a bridge and canal right outside our window. We were amazed by the singing gondoleers passing below our window throughout the afternoon!
Day 5 - Up for a continental breakfast at our B&B we were ready for a full day. Rachel & I booked a special tour of Doge's Palace (the governmental building of Venice). We caught up with Laura and ventured around south Venice. We found a little pizza joint to grab lunch and something to drink...and get out of the cold to let our digits defrost! Then found Tonolo's bakery with some DELICIOUS! baked goods only made during Carnival season. Hot out of the fryer...with a cup of hot 'italian' chocolate...perfect! We ended the night with some dinner, although my black pasta didn't go over well with the girls, and hit the sack!
This update is just a skim of the adventure, but it was definitely a trip that was filled with fun, laughter, and new adventures. I believe I caught up with Matt (and then some) and hopefully we'll make a return to do the things neither of us have done just yet. Although the weather wasn't bright and shiny, I think that this was a perfect time of year to avoid the crowds, enjoy the sights, and take part in Carnival!
Day 6 - H
